While StFX is best known for its strong tradition as a primarily undergraduate university, graduate students are a vital component of the StFX academic community.
Graduate students enhance the StFX academic programs and contribute significantly to teaching, student mentorship, and research excellence. Graduate students can excel in an intimate, primarily undergraduate university setting.
Graduate Student Research Funding Opportunities
The application deadline for Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) is December 1 each year.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – Health research-based.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) – Science research-based.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) – Social Sciences, Arts, and Humanities research-based.
The following in-person and virtual sessions (MS Teams) are planned for your information about these specific graduate scholarships. The sessions will provide you with information about how to apply, how to prepare your application, tips for good applications, obtaining references, etc. You may attend any of the following information sessions (no RSVP required). For virtual sessions, just click on the “join the meeting” link. All sessions will start “on time”:
Wednesday October 4, 2:30pm - 3:20pm ATLANTIC time Click here to join the meeting
Thursday October 5, 10:30am - 11:20am Nicholson Tower 821
Tuesday October 17, 1:30pm - 2:20pm Nicholson Tower 821
Wednesday October 18, 7:00pm - 8:00pm ATLANTIC time Click here to join the meeting
Wednesday October 25, 2:30pm - 3:20pm Nicholson Tower 821
Thursday November 2, 2:30pm - 3:20pm MULH 4030
Friday November 3, 11:30am - 12:20pm ATLANTIC time Click here to join the meeting
- Internal deadline for submission of your entire application package is NOON February 6 each year (when this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is NOON the next business day), Nicholson Tower 715 (@email)
- References can be sent directly by email, dropped off, or mailed, to our offices, 7th floor, Nicholson Tower.
- Transcripts: For internal review, students need only submit StFX Unofficial Grade Report (and those from other universities if applicable). Successful nominees will be asked to provide official transcripts for national competition.
- 4 travelling scholarships (to the US or UK) to study international relations or industrial relations ($12,500 each)
- 1 open scholarship ($10,000)
- If you have questions about applying for Master’s scholarships, please contact David Bruce (@email).