University Research, Publication Teaching Awards (URPTA)
The objective of the University Research, Publication Teaching Awards (URPTA), as outlined in the current StFX –AUT Collective Agreement, is to give recognition to outstanding activity in the areas of Faculty members’ responsibilities.
Faculty members eligible for URPTA are those who: a) either i) hold full-time tenured or tenure-track appointments in a Department at the University during the year in which the application for an URPTA is made or ii) hold limited-term appointments in a Department at the University during the year in which the application for an URPTA is made and previously have two consecutive academic years of service; and, b) are not on, Administrative Leave, Study Leave, or Leave of Absence during all or part of the academic year preceding the summer in which the award would be held.
Faculty members may qualify for URPTA either by satisfying the requirements for an award based on research or publication or on the basis of excellence in teaching as defined in the Collective Agreement. The amount of each URPTA will be determined by dividing the total URPTA budget by the number of eligible applicants.
Applications for URPTA, based on research or publication, shall be made to the appropriate Dean, at the Faculty members’ initiative, by April 15 of each academic year.
URPTA based on research or publication shall be made to Faculty members who meet any one of the following criteria during the twelve months preceding the application deadline:
- year one of receipt or renewal of an external funding award as the principal or co-researcher from NSERC, SSHRC or an equivalent body
- acceptance of an article for inclusion in a refereed publication;
- acceptance of a chapter for inclusion in a book to be published by a reputable independent publisher who has undertaken to risk the printing and distribution costs or who has received a grant-in-aid of publication;
- acceptance of a book by a reputable independent publisher who has undertaken to risk the printing and distribution costs or who has received a grant-in-aid of publication;
- acceptance of creative writing for inclusion in a refereed or otherwise reputable publication;
- individual exhibition/performance of works of art or music at the invitation of a major cultural organization;
- production of software or videos that have publication status.
It shall be the responsibility of the Dean to determine whether the applicant is eligible and has met at least one of the criteria, which must be satisfied for an award to be made.