Research Accounts

Accessing Your Account Information

For information on accessing financial information related to your research accounts please visit the Smart Filter page.

General Rules Governing All Research Accounts

All funded research will be operated in compliance with the "Memorandum of Understanding ( MOU) on the Roles and Responsibilities in the Management of Federal Grants and Awards(2013 archived version) in conjunction with the "Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide(2019 archived version).
Select the above links for more information.

Setting up An Account

To setup an account for research spending the Finance Office requires one of the following documents be submitted with the request
See More

  • A copy of the official notice of award from granting committee (internal – Startup, UCR, CRS, etc) -OR-
  • A copy of the official notice of award from granting agency (external – NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR, NSHRF etc) -OR-
  • A copy of the signed contract (external – AIF, Contribution Agreements , Private Funding, etc)

Please note researchers will not have access to funds until all REB and Animal Care approvals are in place

Eligible Expenses

It is the responsibility of the researcher to ensure that the expenses applied to their research accounts are eligible expenses consistent with their award.
For Tri-Agency Awards (NSERC SSHRC,CIHR) a detailed explanation of eligible expenses can be found at the Tri-Agency website in the Financial Administration Guide for Professors. (See Use Of Grant Funds.)

Transferring funds

The rules governing the transfer of funds from a primary institution to a secondary institution is covered under schedule 9 of the MOU. To facilitate a transfer from STFX to another institution please download the following document “Request_for_Letter_of_Transfer_of_Funds.doc”. The Request form must be completed in full and returned to the Research Operations Officer.


Financial Services

2nd Floor MacKinnon Hall
4130 University Avenue
Antigonish NS B2G 2W5