The National Association of College & University Foodservice (NACUFS), an association for foodservice professionals at nearly 600 institutions of higher education in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and abroad, offers a paid eight-week foodservice management internship program every summer.
Twenty-five colleges and universities in the U.S. volunteer to host internship applicants at their institutions to help students learn more about the exciting opportunities available in the growing industry of college/university dining services. This year, out of 250 applicants 49 students were accepted in the program.
StFX human nutrition students have applied for and been successful in obtaining one or more of these coveted internship positions every year since 2009. In many instances, StFX students have been the only Canadian students accepted in this program.
Lara Buckley, a third-year student from Ottawa ON, will be spending this summer at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY.
Students say the internship is an amazing opportunity and tremendous learning experience. Ms. Buckley says she is expecting the internship to not only be educational and interesting, but also a great insight into a potential future career path. “I am looking forward to this unique opportunity and can't wait to get started!”
StFX human nutrition students who have taken part in this program since 2009 are:
• 2013 Kevin Silveyra of Windsor, ON at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
• 2013 Ashley (Niki) MacLeod of North Sydney, NS at the University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
• 2012 Grace Trigg of Timberlea, NS at the University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
• 2011 Leah Creaser of Lunenburg, NS at Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan
• 2010 Christie Charles of Gananoque, ON at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
• 2010 Caitlin Clarke of Cole Harbour, NS at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
• 2009 Julia Robertson of Ottawa, ON at the University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma